Chiropractic For Pregnant Women in Cincinnati
Call us at (513) 771-1109
Pregnancy is an exciting time for mothers and their families. This amazing gift of life can also bring many stressors to the baby and mother. The average weight gain for a woman during pregnancy is 25-35 lbs, which tends to place alot of stress on the mothers spine, joints, and muscles sometimes resulting in pain and discomfort.
Is chiropractic care safe during pregnancy?
Yes! This is the number one concern women have with chiropractic care and pregnancy, and we can assure you the answer is yes! At Glendale Family Chiropractic, we’re trained and equipped to treat expectant mothers and their newborns, using specific techniques and specialized equipment designed for chiropractic care during pregnancy. Don’t worry—our techniques are gentle enough to be tolerated, but focused enough to be effective.
When is chiropractic care during pregnancy not recommended?
Some women may develop specific medical conditions during pregnancy. Chiropractic care may be considered unwise if a woman experiences any of the following:
- ectopic pregnancy
- vaginal bleeding
- moderate to severe toxemia
- placenta previa or placenta abruption
If you receive care from Glendale Family Chiropractic during your pregnancy, always update us on how you’re doing, and whether your doctor has identified any of these or other medical issues.
Why do I need chiropractic care when pregnant?
During pregnancy, the mothers body undergoes several changes. As the pregnancy becomes closer to term, pregnancy hormones begin to loosen the ligaments in the pelvis to allow for the birthing process. The rapid changes in the mothers body can cause pain and discomfort. Chiropractic care can help alleviate these aches and pains safely and effectively.
What are the benefits of chiropractic care during pregnancy?
Pregnancy puts substantial stress on a woman’s body, and that stress will manifest in many ways. The compassionate team at Glendale Family Chiropractic is ready to help.
- Pain relief. Every expectant mother knows the back, neck and joint pain that can result from carrying a 25- to 35-pound weight gain. Chiropractic care during pregnancy, because it is designed to treat the entire musculoskeletal system of the body, can address the issue. Effecting a proper alignment of the skeletal system, along with other care a chiropractor may provide—including instruction on helpful stretches—helps to reduce this pain.
- Controlling the effects of nausea. There’s no way to prevent nausea during pregnancy. But the experience of nausea itself can also bring with it muscular tension, and repeated vomiting can cause spinal stress. Chiropractic care can ease the tension and stress and make this phase of pregnancy more endurable.
- Reducing labor and delivery time. Proper alignment of the spine and pelvis helps with proper positioning of the baby when it is to be born. This can result in an easier labor and delivery for the mother. Some research suggests that a reduction in labor and delivery time of up to two hours is possible.
- Preventing a potential cesarean delivery. An easier labor and delivery obviates the need for a surgical solution in birthing the baby. That means less discomfort and recovery time for new moms. And that’s a result every mother, father and physician can applaud.
Common Conditions Relieved by Chiropractic with Pregnancy
Low Back Pain
Should I seek my doctor’s approval before seeing a chiropractor during pregnancy?
Yes, of course. Always inform your doctor of any kind of healthcare you consider receiving during your pregnancy. Your primary care physician or ObGyn wants to know everything that’s going on with you as you bring your baby to term.
Is chiropractic care during pregnancy beneficial for the baby?
Yes, and the beneficial effects should not be understated.
As stated above, proper pelvic alignment can help with the proper positioning of the baby, contributing to an easier labor and delivery. But a pelvis that’s out of alignment can limit space for your baby. This creates an external restricting force—known as intrauterine constraint—which can increase risk to both mother and child. It can affect a woman’s ability to have a natural and noninvasive birth, and even lead to birth defects.
Come and See Us
Certainly the benefits of prenatal chiropractic care should be carefully considered by every expectant mother. If you’re a new mom-to-be, congratulations! We’ll be happy to answer any questions you have about chiropractic care and pregnancy. Contact Glendale Family Chiropractic to learn more about how we can assist you during one of the most amazing times in your life.
Make an Appointment
New Patient Special. First Visit
Includes exam and treatment
Schedule An Appointment:
Contact us to schedule an appointment today by calling us at (513) 771-1109